Almost all people are fond of travelling. It is very interesting to see new places, another towns and countries. People may travel either for pleasure or on business. There are various means of travelling. For me there is nothing like travel by air; it is more comfortable, more convenient and, of course, far quicker than any other means. There is none of the dust and dirt of a railway or car journey, none of the trouble of changing from train to steamer and then to another train.
With a train you have speed, comfort and pleasure combined. From the comfortable seat of a railway carriage you have a splendid view of the whole countryside. If you are hungry, you can have a meal in the dining-car; and if a journey is a long one you can have a wonderful bed in a sleeper.
Travelling by ship is also very popular now. It is very pleasant to feel the deck of the ship under the feet, to see the rise and fall of the waves, to feel the fresh sea wind blowing in the face and hear the cry of the seagulls.
Many people like to travel by car. It is interesting too, because you can see many sights in a short time, you can stop when and where you like, you do not have to buy tickets or carry your suitcases.
A very popular means of travelling is hiking. It is travelling on foot. Walking tours are very interesting. Hitch-hiking is a very popular method of travelling among young people. But it is not as popular in our country as abroad.
- Have you ever been abroad?
2. Where would you like to go on vacation?
3. What are some things you always take with you on a trip?
4. Do you prefer package tours or making your own trip?
5. Where did you spend your last vacation? What did you do?
6. What are some of the benefits of traveling alone?
7. What are some of the benefits of traveling with a group?
8. What’s the best way to travel? (By plane, ship, train, car, etc.), the advantages and disadvantages.
9. What is the best and worst thing about traveling to a new country?
10. Where do you prefer to stay when you go on vacation? (Hotel, hostel, Airbnb house / room, etc.)
11. What do you miss most when you are traveling?
12. Do you like to take guided tours or explore a place by yourself?
In 100-150 words or less, prepare your personal statement on the topics below:
- Have you ever been a guest in someone’s home in a foreign country? When? Why? What was different?
- What happens in your country? Is it usual to invite people to your home for a meal? What are such occasions like in your home?